Thanks for your interest in the James R. Thorpe Foundation. We fund organizations and programs that work directly with youth and seniors in Minneapolis and the west metro area. We fund organizations with operating budgets of $3 million or less. There is strong need for philanthropic support in our focus areas, so we are not able to consider applications that fall outside of our guidelines. Please review the Giving Priorities page for more detail.
Youth funding proposals: February 15
Senior funding proposals: July 29
The Thorpe Foundation accepts requests for funding via its online application system, where applicants enter information into forms and upload documents. Applications will be accepted through 11:59 PM on the due date.
Click here to start a new request for funding or return to an application in progress (opens in a new window)
Tips for Navigating the Thorpe Foundation’s Online Application System
Getting Started: Creating an Organizational Profile
- Log in and create a user name and password. Please do not create more than one user name per organization.
- Enter your organizational and contact information
Entering Your Request for Funding
- Review all of the questions before beginning the application. Use “the print questions option” to preview all the application questions.
- Remember all questions with an asterisk are required.
- Save often! The system will “time you out” after 40 minutes of inactivity and your data will not automatically be saved.
- The proposal does not need to be completed in one session and can be edited until you formally submit your request for funding.
- Once you’ve submitted your application for funding, you may view it but you can not edit.
- If you don’t remember your password, please do not create a new account. Click forgot password and the system will email your password to the email address on file.
If you have problems with the application system, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please allow 1-2 business days for a response to your inquiry.
The Thorpe Foundation Board of Directors will meet in May to consider Youth proposals and September to consider Senior proposals. Applicants will be notified of the Foundation’s decision within two weeks of the Board meeting.